Friday, July 18, 2008

Open Source- Student talent

When I was a student, there was a contant urge to get closer to the real world. I was contantly looking for projects/ internships i could find which had some relevance to the industry. An urge to experiment/ practice what I was learning in school.

Now, that I have been working for more that 6 years, I have worked with these students. I am amazed their level of energy, enthusism and commitment. With a little bit of guidance, these fertile minds take off and generate some great outputs.

The question, i often ask, is why is it so hard to link industry to talent. There are a few options out there:
a- The college/ industry relationship deparments of each institute. Typically, a company would be required to put a job post on each of the institute websites.
b- The student meets the corporate through a referral

What if....
Students can meet the corporates on a common platform. e-lance/ freelancer. com seem to be doing something similar, but they are open to all.
Would people be willing to use student research to help them take business decisions?

No comments: